Saturday, October 22, 2011

The year of the color crayon

Well, school is well under way and here I am just starting my blogging on my classroom.  So here's my first for this school year.

At the end of last year I decided to start this year with some whole-group projects.  The local hospital here is part of the Arts Commission and they are having a "contest" of sorts (they don't call it that) where students submit artwork to both appear in the Commission's calendar and to be displayed (for a year) in the hallways of the local hospital.   So, each grade level has been working on grade-level projects and we're nearly finished.  I'll have some pictures to share as soon as I can get them scanned.

In the meantime, I've declared this year "The Year Of The Crayon."  That's because I have hundreds and perhaps thousands of crayons in my room and for the most part, they don't get used.  I am going to try to change that.  So one goal I have for this year is to find as many art ideas as I can where crayons can be used. I've already begun to teach kids to use crayons in different ways and I have several "experiments" I want to try.

If you have a project idea that uses crayons, I'd love to hear about them.  Also, share sites you have found useful.  I'll add them to my link list.  Thanks in advance and have a great year!  Thanks for reading.

Crayola Website
Crayon Techniques
Jeffrey Roberts Crayon Art

3 comments:

  1. Have you heard of Christian Faur? Awesome artwork made from teh physical crayons. http://www.christianfaur.com/crayons/crayonSeries1/index.html

    I melt the grubby crayons in muffin tins and use them for texture rubbings. They are fast and easy enough to make that they would be good for prizes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your website, ill be back for another look soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this on a blog but can't remember where....Using a teflon pancake griddle (electric) place a piece of aluminum foil on the preheated griddle and color on the warm foil with peeled crayons.Lay a piece of paper on top of the melted crayon drawing and then pull it off (like in printmaking) I haven't tried it yet, but I did buy the griddle! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete